Yesterday our "block" had our first "block watch" meeting....was very interesting...I hope we all keep up with all this...Our block needs it badly..it's not terribly bad here but I have lived in my house for almost 35 years and watched the neighborhood go to hell in a hand basket. The Park has turned into a cesspool of crime and drugs,hookers are up and down the busy street nearby...and right by a grade school. My neighbor called the police a few weeks back to report someone with a gun or something and he said the 911 operator told him to "go outside and check it out>>> ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?!?! And asked the officer what to do about that...the officer told him if that happens find out the name of the operator and ask to speak to her/his supervisor.
So today they had a night out from 4-8pm...at the park by me...they have it every year...the police are there they have the bomb squad with the robot that picks up the bomb and put it in the barrel thing...which I found out can hold the explosion of a bomb of 20lbs of explosives!
The Chief of police was there...and one of the aldermen I think that's what he was..I didn't see any other aldermen or council people there...but I did go early and only stayed for an hour and a half or so...They had a couple of police dogs there..also the sheriffs were there with the horses. I had to get in line to pet the horse..lol when it was my turn I raised my hand and went me next me next....the lady sheriff laughed...I just want to get the smell on my hand so the cats have something to sniff when I get home...lol. I got a bang out of the kids...one of the info booths they had there was giving out free T-shirts to the kids and they were all getting the police to sign them. I told one of the officers I didn't know we had so many famous cops here...lol...he said neither did I...lol. They had free food~cough~ a skinny hot dog and a small (and I mean SMALL) handfull of chips..and a soda. The kids seemed to enjoy it thou. Pelican Grove had free admision all day...(that's a kiddie wading pool that rerplaced the "real" pool that was there..lol)
I have many memories at the old pool ....of course that was back in the day when you could actually be out of site of your parent's and not worry about things ..like getting shot and mugged or worse. We walked to school on our own..or with classmates,roamed the steets and played all day in the park all by ourselves ....but YOU BETTER BE HOME WHEN THOSE STREET LIGHTS CAME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Time they have changed.......~sigh~
At times, things get a little worse.
6 days ago
.jpg)


5 comments:
Ahhh, how you can recall youth. Amazing how we wandered around until nightfall. Hated to come in. I wish the kids had that today of course, but they don't. Well did the cat notice the horse smell?
TAke care.
Sherry & Jack
You are too much! What a great program that your block is getting into. It must make everyone feel better and safer.
Get out there and take back the neighborhood .
thanks for the b-day song
sounds nice that they tried to have an event like this to "retake the neighborhood" so to speak. sad that the neighborhood is deteriorating a bit; I find if there's a park close by there will be that nightly trouble with drinking, kids or others hanging around, etc. cute you wanted the horse scent on your hand for the kitties!
I do remember the days you could just roam free; nowadays you don't even dare let your kid go 3 houses down without keeping your eye on them
betty
perhaps the 911 operator lived in your neighborhood and was trying to free up another parking spot on the street which there never seems to be enough of on your block.
Post a Comment