Sunday, January 25, 2009

SEWING IS HARD....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of years ago I bought myself a sewing machine......My real mother sewed...my Aunt sews....The Aunt who too care of me after my Mom passed sewed....Well anyhoo for some reason I wanted one...nothing fancy...I got myself a brother LS...something or other...so when I first got it home I figured out how to thread it and do the bobbin thingy....was that a pain...(especially if you have NO clue to what you are doing) The manual for the darn thing is in 2 languages...done in the nice 2 columns...so nice in fact the picture you need to refer to is on the following page. How nice....makes it so much more special...ha ha ha. Well I had some jeans that needed hemming , because when Roman's says tall they mean it apparently. So I had to take them up about 1 -1/2 inches...so this afternoon I decided to take care of this little chore....5 pairs..to be hemmed....shouldn't take to long ...right? PFFFFFFFT! I got them all pinned up...(took about an hour for that....with the little stitch gauge...the one thing I did remember from home ec class was what that thing was for)..and then I commenced to sewing.....I got one pair done!!! WOOO HOOO....thought WOW this is easy!! Then I got half of another leg done......and....OMG!!!! IT STOPPED SEWING!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I seemed to be operating alright needle going up and down...thingy that moves the fabric was working.....(consults manuals trouble shooting guide....nothing for sudden stoppage of sewing......nothing....) OH!!! thread came out of needle ...ok...rethreaded.....HMMMM still no sewing......now making funny noise....took bobbin thingy out.....blew the dust out of there, checked for thread in bobbin...yup....put it back re-threaded the top again....nope...no sewing....I sat there..very perplexed....OK...I'll look at the needle...looks in manual for needle changing...locates screwdriver that came with machine....and undoes screw..needle drops out...looks at it...VERY slightly bent...hmmmm ok gets a new needle...replaces needle gets a scrap of material and see's if that works....TADA....I'm off and running again....2 hours later an countless pin pricks I have 5 hemmed pairs of jeans....the sewing is not straight...but who is going to notice?

We are having another cold blast again....brrrrr

Hope you all had a great weekend!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I remember my first sewing machine...fact is..I still have it...does ok...nuttin fancy tho..and like you...self taught mostly when it came to sewing...just kinda "eye balled it" LOL...so to speak...but glad all the jeans turned out ok...and like you say...maybe not perfect...but who is gonna notice wayyyyyyyyyyy down there on the floor LOL...and your "I believe" was nice...enjoyed that too...God Bless...hugs...Ora