Friday, July 23, 2010

YIPES........

yipes!! 7 Inches in an hour in some places...





(July 23) -- A man was rescued from a sinkhole in Milwaukee, asking "What happened?" after his Cadillac Escalade plummeted into the a chasm that opened up during a deluge.


A man was rescued from a sinkhole in Wisconsin after his Cadillac Escalade plummeted into a giant hole in the middle of the road, which was caused by extensive flooding.

Lance , 25, said he was driving his new Escalade down the road when he noticed something odd: "The streetlight was just, like, underground," he told AOL News in a phone interview today. said he didn't have much time to process what he was seeing. "I was trying to comprehend it," he said. "Then the road just collapsed under me." he fell about 20 feet into the hole and lost consciousness for a few seconds because of the force of the impact. When he opened his eyes, all he could see was mud, telephone wires and water rushing at him from out of a sewage pipe. "I thought, 'I'm either going to get electrocuted or drown,' so I knew I needed to get out," he said. The Milwaukee resident had climbed out the window of his SUV when a man standing above the gaping hole offered him a much-needed hand.Mark , 46, says he reached over the edge of the growing sinkhole and helped pull the driver onto solid ground by his belt loop.

Fortunately, no one was hurt, though T says his new Escalade is totaled. The car remained in the sinkhole Friday afternoon in drive, and had not yet run out of gas. But sinkholes weren't the only problem in Milwaukee on Thursday night, when wild weather wreaked havoc. The torrential downpour flooded homes and streets, and forced General Mitchell International Airport to close until noon today, WBAY 2 reports. Two people were struck by lightning.Still more rain is on the way for Milwaukee today, and the National Weather Service has issued flash flood warnings for the already sodden area.

4 comments:

jack69 said...

Wow what an entry Mel.It would shake you to the bopne to lose our road. Thanks for the story.
so the Escalade is still running?
You get some interesting ones!

Joann said...

WOW!!! What a scary ordeal!!! And who's gonna pay for that Escalade, insurance companies don't usually pay for 'acts of God' things, do they??? Oh, they must... that's just awful!! Glad he's ok. And TWO people struck by lightning, WOW!!!

Toon said...

I have nightmares about stuff like this. Yikes.

Missie said...

I've seen that sink hole on Tv. I can't imagine how scary that must have been for that guy.

Have a good week.