Thursday, November 18, 2010

REALLY!?

As most of you know I volunteer weekly at a local food bank.....and we can get a family just about anything they need if ..say... they have a house fire or whatever....we have clothes to hand out if needed we hand out toys for Christmas......warm blankets and warm clothes for the homeless sleeping bags for them too...Well this last Wednesday we had 3 winter baby buntings (?) you know the winter thingy's for baby's that look like a bag with hoods ...well any way..during the course of 2 hours....3 of them were stolen.....It gets kinda crazy there so it is impossible for the people to keep an eye on everything but dang......I just don't understand the mentality of some people.........makes me sick..it rally does.......and we are getting busier and busier when I first started there about a year ago we seved anywhere from 90 to maybe 100 families a week.....now we regularly serve 150 families a week.......next week (week before Thanksgiving) will be a killer....(I'm usually gone but I cannot afford to go by Aunt Irma this year....My heart is broken....I will not be there this year) But I guess last year 250 families came to get food...

All the volunteers got a letter of thanks from the food pantry...and told us how many families and individuals we serve.....2,093 men,women and children in 642 families in September alone.During our 2010 year which ended on September 30...we registered 2,408 unique households....serving a total of 6,443 households (I'm sure this strange totals represents more than one family per home) representing 11,630 men, women and 9,921 children . That to me is an awful lot of people who for some reason not to be able to support their families...Ok I'll shut up there that another rage for me...lol ANYWAY.......

Guess what I got in the mail Wednesday???? Go ahead guess!!!!

I GOT MY ACCEPTANCE LETTER FOR COLLEGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I start January 3rd! I still got a few things to get done first but I'm in!!!

WOOOOO HOOOOO I'm on my way to getting smart...lol

5 comments:

jack69 said...

Wow, First what you said LAST! HURRAY FOR YOU, We B so glad for you. This is great.

Also great that you are sweet enough to volunteer your time, and it is a P-poor thing for folks to steal what you are trying to give away to the right folks.

But I am thrilled for you. GO GIRL!

Love from NOrth CArolina

jack69 said...

Wow, First what you said LAST! HURRAY FOR YOU, We B so glad for you. This is great.

Also great that you are sweet enough to volunteer your time, and it is a P-poor thing for folks to steal what you are trying to give away to the right folks.

But I am thrilled for you. GO GIRL!

Love from NOrth CArolina

Paula said...

Congrats on being able to start college and it is commendable what you the others are doing to help people.

betty said...

I think it is great work you volunteer for, Melanie! It is sad what gets stolen; I knew someone who had a Bible bookstore and he said the item that got stolen the most was the "WWJD bracelets". go figure!

You guys are doing a wonderful job meeting the needs of the community. I think the economy sucks so much that the need goes up almost daily with people no longer able to feed their families, etc.

Our church started a rescue mission last year and gives out an average of 250 boxes of food weekly.

We just need to continue to do what we can to help the "least, lost, last"

betty

Toon said...

Congrats on the acceptance! Go get 'em!!