On Saturday I went to the Milwaukee Public Museum to see the special exhibit...."The Dead Sea Scrolls and The Bible"
Dead Sea Scrolls and the Bible
Dead Sea Scrolls and the Bible: Ancient Artifacts, Timeless Treasures brings together archaeological objects and manuscripts to tell a story 2,000 years in the making.
Witness actual Dead Sea Scrolls and other early biblical artifacts to learn how transmission of these early writings has shaped the beliefs of Judaism and Christianity and influenced aspects of Islam.
The largest temporary exhibit ever produced by the Milwaukee Public Museum, Dead Sea Scrolls and the Bible explores the archaeological history of the Holy Land during the period the Scrolls were written, from the third century BCE through the first century CE.
The exhibit also tracks the discovery of the first Scrolls and subsequent realization of their extraordinary significance.
WOW !!!!!!!!! Was that a wonderful exhibit. Very interesting They had artifacts from the whole era ..and coins from that time..and the whole story on how the scrolls were found and how they pieced the pieces they could together, the first part of the exhibit was about Jerusalem about the time the Romans came. Was pretty neat.....it was a HUGE exhibit...took about 2 hours to go through the entire thing...we saw "facsimiles"of 3 nearly complete including the 24ft Great Isaiah Scroll..WOW...( I was starting to get annoyed at this time ..because all the "hype" for this exhibit...I wanted to see "real" scrolls.....) then there was also a ten minute film....then we went to another room of the exhibit and...there they were....real fragments from the scrolls...with pictures and translations above...... they also had some writings from later that were written on papyrus and not parchment...and then the had several bibles there was the oldest Masoretic
Bible...from 920to 950 CE..there was also a bible there from 1547!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And the
Giddieons Bible..you know the ones people steal from Motels/hotels...lol you know they are printed in..some town in Wisconsin!?..I did not know that....AND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they had 6 pages from The Saint John's Bible"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The first fully hand copied and illuminated Bible in 500 years!!!!.......OH it is BEAUTIFUL~being done somewhere in Minnesota....what beautiful work they are doing.....Then they had a pictorial on Golda Meir...she was raised here in Milwaukee.....
was wonderful to see and if this exhibit comes your way.....I think it is a must see.....
At times, things get a little worse.
6 days ago
.jpg)


4 comments:
yep, I think this is the same exhibit I saw too! very fascinating, wasn't it? glad you enjoyed it!
betty
I take back all the nasty things I have said about you! This is another good entry. I have wondered many times about the dead sea scrolls etc.
It would be nice to see the exhibit. Thanks for the report and hope all is well with you.
I did not know Golda was from Milwalkee, it is good for us old folk to learn something new every day! LOL
Have a good week.
I just don't have the patience for museums. After fifteen minutes I'm ready to leave... even if the exhibit is something I'm very interested in.
Post a Comment